Regarding yesterday at Jeff, while there were a lot of jokes throughout the day, nothing memorable or blog worthy. I did like a woo-woo gesture Linda made when she offered to get me a Good Humor, vanilla ice cream covered in chocolate on a stick, and I emphasized, not to Linda's surprise, that no substitutes were acceptable. You had to be there. Which reminds me of the line a funny college fraternity brother sometimes used when someone didn't laugh at his jokes, "How long have you had this condition."
The nurses loved seeing wedding pictures and the NYT aritcle. Linda said it's common knowledge that the wedding page and announcements are considered "The Women's Sports Page."
By the way, another of my political obsessions was Michael Steele's 2006 run for the Senate from Maryland against Ben Cardin. Steele implied falsely that certin Democrats were supporting his candidacy and he had campaign literature that gave the impression he was a Democrat. I thought the Dems should have made a big deal of this, prosecuting Steele if he violated any laws or passing laws that would preclude such practices. And once Steele became the GOP chairman in 2009, I thought Dems or the press would mention the irony but even after many e-mails from me, everyone ignored this.
The following is an old political rant so you may want to skip it but I wanted to get it in writing. I am trying to avoid current politics (other than my recent letter) about which some of us have extreme disagreements.
I believe that past actions by Republican Presidential candidates may have risen to the level of treason.
In 1968, there is substantial evidence (Johnson had FBI tapes) that Nixon affiliates spoke to the South Vietnamese representatives in Paris, urging them to boycott the peace talks, which they did, as they would get a better deal from Nixon. Johnson was urged by several advisors not to bring this up as it would casue alot of turmoil. Then in 1971 or 1972, from certain tapes, Kissinger allegedly urged Nixon not to make peace before the 1972 election in case it didn't turn out well. The peace treaty was reached on January 27, 1973, apparently similar to Johnson's treaty, after over 20,000 more American deaths and 100,000 injuries after 1968. By the way, prize winning reporter Seymour Hersh (My Lai massacre exposure, and others) wrote that "Kissinger lies the way most people breathe."
In 1980, Reagan's people, including William Casey, allegedly met with Iranian officials to put off the release of the U.S. embassy hostages. The hostages were released on the day of Reagan's inauguration in return for arms being shipped to Iran by Israel and also may have facilitated the Iran-Contra arms for hostages scandal in violation of the law in the mid-1980's. While Congressional hearings didn't find credible evidence that this actually happened, a number of witnesses contend that it did.
So that's my latest rant.
I'm not feeling quite 100% today. The cold sensitvity from the chemo is sort of interesting. Getting a couple of things from the refrigerator this morning gave me tingling in my hands and even feet for a couple of hours. Emptying the dishwasher thsi morning, I got a pain in my upper thigh which has pretty much gone away but I'm taking it easy today with no walks, but no problem doing stairs.
I'm looking forward to the baseball playoffs, mainly the Phillies but some of the other games.
Have a good weekend. (I started typing Hava which reminded me that I have come across the name of a woman, I believe a doctor, named Hava Elkan katz.)
Elkan - Friday afternoon
No comments:
Post a Comment