Another long day at Jeff - 9:30 to a little past 6:30. Began with lab tests, then waited a long time to see the doc. This is what happens when you have an oncologist and NP who spend a lot of time with patients unlike a certain hospital south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Eventually, the pre-chemo drugs were started and finally I took the IV pole with me when we saw both Dr. Littman and Eleanor together. They answered all our questions and said after the next treatment beginning on 9/29, I will likely have a CAT scan to evaluate my progess but continue for another 8 weeks - 4 chemos - for a further evaluation and comparison. My CA-19-9 which is a cancer marker has come down substantially from 900 I think back in April to 400 a month or so ago to 190 and 222 on 9/1 and 9/15. Below 35 is our goal. Because other factors besides cancer can cause this rate to fluctuate, without scans it's not as meaningful as it might be but certainly this is a very positive result.
I again had a reaction to the second drug, tightness in the hands, cramping, a little sweaty but NP said this is very common in virtually all her patients. Also, I had some tightness in my calves which continued a little today but this is also very common. At one point when my hands were tight, I made claw like gestures and said to Linda, "They come at you with their claws," a reference Linda immediately knew was from Borat. Borat was taking a self defense course and asked the instructor what do you do "when a Jew comes at you with his claws." I had left the Jew out of my comment because the nurse was there.
I had to wait a little before leaving to feel less out of it. When the nurse asked if I wanted a wheelchair, I said, "That might be a good idea." And Linda immediately added, "That means he desperately wants it." I responded, "Again, I don't know my own subtexts."
I got three shots while I was there, two for the drug reaction and one for a low red blood cell count. While my white count was high, I'm getting a shot on Monday to maintain it. I also see my eye retina doctor Monday, probably for the last follow up from my last detached retina operation. I get my pump removed tomorrow afternoon.
If I feel okay, we are going to Martha's Vineyard from 9/20 to 9/27.
And now for something completely different: The legend of the Lone Ranger has been incorrectly shown on TV. He was not shot by the Cavendish gang but actually had cancer. Tonto nursed him back to health but the LR cried frequently during the recovery period. And this is why Tonto, after recovery, always referred to the Lone Ranger as "Chemo Sobby".
Elkan - Friday night
No comments:
Post a Comment