Hope I'm not overdoing the blog entries but things keep running through my mind.
During chemo Thursday, on one of my trips to the bathroom I weighed myself both before and after at the scale next to the nurses station. One of the nurses asked me about why I was doing it and I told her I wanted to see the before and after difference (about 9 ounces) and she thought that was interesting, implying she hadn't heard of anyone doing that before.
This reminded me of my best example of unique behavior which I only do because I think it's reasonable and don't realize that I'm the only one. My graduation from my one year Masters in Accounting program at Wharton in 1968 was held at the old Civic Center which is now part of the medical complex where I have most of my tests and see most of my medical people at HUP. Anyway, there were four thousand university graduates on the main floor and my family, including Linda and my brother Larry were in the upper deck. Because it was a very hot May day, I had removed my graduation capt during most of the ceremonies. This allowed Linda and Larry to spot me in the crowd as they claim I was the only one of the 4000 with his/her cap off. (Larry claimed he spotted me first but Linda is certain it was her.) Of course, I had my cap on at the appropriate time. So as my friend Sonny likes to say, "Was that wrong?"
Also, in the Masters program, which was only in its second year and was needed to gain additional courses required for the CPA exam, I was the only person of the 22 or so of us never to wear a coat and tie to class. Occasionally, 3 or 4 others would skip a coat and tie one day. I always felt I didn't need the practice to be able to wear a suit and tie when I got a job after graduation. Also, since I was paying Wharton rather than Wharton paying me, I should be able to set reasonable dress standards as long as they never had a dress rule.
One more example of why I never had a stellar career: The first class on the first day of the Masters program was being taught by the Chairman of the acounting department. When he first came into class, he asked who is Elkan Katz. I raised my hand. I assumed he asked because I had the highest undergraduate accounting average of those in the class. I had been tied with one other kid but he went to Harvard Law School ( his overall average for everything was way above mine.). After some preliminary matters, the professor called on me to explain the reading. I had to tell him I hadn't read it. After all, why should you be doing homework before the first class; I still considered myself on vacation. I had enough trouble doing homework after the year began.
But I can add a positive note in my pursuit of knowledge. The undergraduate accounting course that only two of us aced was the 2 semester Intermediate/cost accounting course. On one test that I had missed a question, I wanted to find out where I went wrong and what the correct answer was; so I went to see the professor, the only time I ever did this for this reason. Unfortunately, the professor took it the wrong way as if I was complaining rather than that I actually wanted to learn.
That's enough for this morning. Hope you're not too bored but I guess if it's my blog, I'm supposed to write about myself, revealing the secret Elkan you never knew about.
Elkan - Saturday morning (by the way, I don't know if you ever noticed but Saturday has a turd right in the middle of it.)
No comments:
Post a Comment