Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tricky Dick

    I've been feeling pretty good and had a shot today of neutrapenia? to bring my white cells up to normal.  This is a typical needle I'll probably get everytime within 3 days of the pump being removed.  While this reduces my chances of infection, I expect to avoid as much direct physical contact as I can at the wedding.  Hopefully, those of you atttending will keep this in mind and keep your focus on this exciting day for Rachel and Dave and what should prove to be a unique and fun wedding, weather permitting.
    The previous blog about accounting reminded me that I participated in an audit of the Democratic National Committee HQ's at the Watergate a couple of years before the break-in.  Nothing of interest turned up; but I became a big fan of the 2 year Watergate saga, even informing my Penn alumni magazine that I was President of the Wallowers in Watergate Committee.  (They didn't print this obviously made up item.)
    I have a small shrine in my house to Tricky Dick, whose tape recordings are the gift that keeps on giving.  The centerpiece of the shrine is a picture of Nixon, Haldemann, Erhlichman, Mitchell, and Dean as gangsters.  When Rachel was 2 or 3, I taught her to recite their names as Tricky Dick, HR, Eyebrows, The Big Enchilada, and Baby Face.
    A sad memory from my accounting years was when we got the news in my office that the Ohio National Guardsmen had shot 4 Kent State students protesting the Vietnam War.  Many of my fellow accountants were so happy this had happened that I had to leave work early to get away from them.
    On a much lighter note, on my first audit in 1968, I had to send out confirmations of bank balances for our client.  One of the banks was in Green Bay and I foolishly included a little note with the confirmation saying, "Go Colts!  Boo Packers!  Bart Starr stinks!"  Not surprisingly, it took a little extra followup for me to get the needed confirmation.
     Hope all is well and the rain stops.
Elkan - Tuesday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment