Monday, June 25, 2012

Scan Man

   Last night I actually slept over three hours twice for the first time in a long time.
   Today we walked down to the scan place, a little over a mile.  I was to have a CT scan and PET scan.  It turned out to be more of an ordeal than I expected and remembered.  Of course, I never did two scans on the same day.
   First they give you the same lengthy forms to fill out each time, but Linda did them this time while I concentrated on drinking the 32 ounces or so of white liquid.  After an hour I was taken back for the CT scan which included an IV of some contrasting liquid.  The CT scan went smoothly.
   Then I went into a little room and was given another IV for which I had to wait an hour for it to take full effect.  I made my second trip to the bathroom to change Amos as the liquids I had drunk don't come out the normal way but journey through Amos and that is a more difficult change.  After the hour wait, I went into the PET room.  For the scan, you have to lie on your back with your arms over your head for a 1/2 hour but trying not to move.  My left arm and shoulder got fairly sore but I managed with only a few minor twinges.  When it was over, the operator checked to make sure the pictures were okay and they were.
   We took a cab home as I didn't want to take any chances with Amos and the liquids.  Fortunately, while I've had nausea on and off for several days, I didn't get sick until after I got home and after some pizza.
   On Thursday, we meet with Littman to discuss the results which are very important regarding my progress and possibly the next chemo protocol.

Elkan - Monday night

No comments:

Post a Comment