Monday, June 4, 2012

Another Jeff Day

   First, some additions to our MV trip.  I had rented a compact from Hertz and was given a Chevy Aveo, the smallest compact I've ever been given.  The trunk was so small that our basic small aluminum beach chairs wouldn't fit in it.  It didn't even have a button for locking and unlocking the doors, just the button for my door would lock and unlock all the doors.  On the way home we wanted to take the more relaxing Tappan Zee Bridge route, even though the traffic reports said the quicker GW Bridge route had no traffic.  However, I wasn't paying attention and missed the Tappan Zee exit.  We used Linda's GPS for the GW and it guided us on a way I hadn't taken before.  We had to make several lane switches from left to right and vice versa in traffic, which was not a pleasant experience, but I believe in the end we saved time.
   On Sunday, we spent about two and 1/2 hours on the beach at Gay Head, which is a quite beautiful beach with its clay cliffs and a little bit of nudity although mostly guys.  I forgot about sun tan lotion and Linda had given up since I had acted like a baby when she put sun tan lotion on me the day before.  So the tops of my feet and knees got quite red but didn't reach the pain threshold.
   We got to see our Rhododendron bush in bloom for the first time, as well as some rose bushes.  The whole Island was filled with beautiful Rhododendrons.  Also, Linda was able to pick up on several days a bouquet of peonies from an unattended stand where you just leave your $10.  This would last about 5 minutes in Philly.
   I was feeling very good at MV, especially the last few days when I didn't need any naps.  Yesterday in Philly, in addition to a couple of walks, I hit a tennis ball against a wall for about 15 minutes.
   Now to Jefferson.   I had lab tests, a meeting with Eleanor, and chemo including Gemsar and Cisplatin.  I also had my Octreotide and Arinasp shots and tomorrow will get the Nuelasta shot.  Eleanor kept my June 25 date for my CT Scan and added a PT Scan at the same time.  The advantage will be that I only have to drink the liquid once.  The CT measures the size of tumors and other things that show on the scan.  The PT Scan shows what's going on inside the tumor, that is, how active it is.  This will help determine the meaning, if any, of the cancer marker CA-19 which keeps going up while a new cancer marker has stayed in the normal range.  Dr. Littman is at a major oncology meeting in Chicago, some of which has been reported in the newspapers.
   Linda got me my Smokin' Bettys barbecue brisket sandwich.  We had walked to Jefferson but cabbed home because it was raining.  We're going out for a walk and errand in a few minutes.
 
Elkan - Monday late afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment