Yesterday just before we got to Jeff, Linda mentioned that the shoes she was wearing were much more comfortable than her sneakers and then at that very moment she tripped and fell down. Perhaps if I wasn't looking at her shoes, I might have been able to stop her slow motion fall. She's okay and the only pain, which was quite considerable last night, was around one shoulder blade. But after cold treatment, she got much better. We went to her GP (I got to take her as we had to drive (Car Share)). The GP seconded cold treatment and didn't find anything serious. (I wouldn't have mentioned any of this except for the irony of falling just after praising the shoes.
Then I went to Jeff for my neulasta shot. Actually, when we saw Littman yesterday, my white cell count was in the low normal range and she was going to pass on the needle. But the chemo nurse had it in her notes that I'm always supposed to get this shot so she called Littman who changed her mind, probably a good idea since the white cell count often goes down after chemo and it's better to keep my immune system as strong as possible. I found out that my cancer marker dropped again to 71; this was from yesterday's lab tests before the chemo. I think the original figure was 956 before any chemo. Below 35 is what we're shooting for. So far, only once did the marker go up a little.
Back to yesterday. I did the lab tests and then we had meetings with Eleanor and Littman. The plan is to start a new protocol in 3 weeks on Jan. 30, assuming lab tests are acceptable. Next Monday, I'm scheduled for a CT Scan. Then on Jan 23, we see Littman to discuss the Scan and the new protocol. The lab tests on Jan. 9 came back with good results for almost everything. Even potassium was high, which is one area I've sometimes been low and needed to take a pill the size of the Ritz. I gave Littman a chronology of my major events since diagnosis; she was impressed and wished other patients did this.
Lately, I have been asking every relevant medical person about whether without the colostomy but with extensive diarrhea, I might have accidents and possibly need adult diapers. Unfortunately, the answer was always yes. I told Linda this is my new speakers' question, replacing one I often try to ask at book talks, if at all appropriate. It's a version of this: "What can you tell us about the religion of the Founders."
After the Littman meeting, I had the chemo infusion which didn't take long as Might Mouse only takes about 5 minutes; but there are other fluids that I get so maybe it was an hour or so. The chemo nurse said the new protocol is a long one mainly because they give two two hour water treatments, one before and one after the chemos which run about an hour, to prevent dehydration. So I'll have to make a bigger effort to drink more when I'm on this new protocol. Then we had a long walk home, doing errands on the way.
Linda knitted scarves for Littman, Eleanor, Katie (chemo nurse and very nice and helpful), and Suzanne (an administration nurse who is always helping us get good service and gives us hugs when she sees us.) They all were very appreciative but Katie added amazement that Linda did this.
I just wanted to mention that while a liberal, I'm not always happy with Obama although mostly when he acts in a way that I consider too conservative. But I get nearly daily money solicitations from the Obama team and I almost always reply something like: "Fire Geithner and Holder before asking for money." One other political comment: Fred Willard, who has been in a lot of the Christopher Guest comedies and played the Ed McMahon character on the old Tonight Show parody "Fernwood Tonight," would be the perfect person to play Rick Perry.
Take care,
Elkan - Tuesday evening
No comments:
Post a Comment