Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Scanning

   I survived the CT Scan yesterday but just barely.  I was feeling a little tired and nauseous and had to drink two 450 ML containers of chalk-like liquids (I think this makes each container just under a pint.).  They give you an hour to do the drinking before the scan.  Actually, I think the Scan place was willing to let me throw up and then still do the scan.  They also had to give me an IV for some sort of contrasting images but this time they had no trouble doing the IV unlike last time when they kept poking me and couldn't find a vein.  As I may have mentioned last time, when you are lying on the scan apparatus and look up while not inside the machine, you look up a palm tree from the bottom into a blue and slightly cloudy sky, a nice image.  The actual test takes less than 10 minutes as you move in and out of the apparatus and are instructed to hold your breath at certain times.  There are no banging noises like an MRI.  We will find out the results when we speak with Littman next Monday.
  Monday afternoon and evening weren't too pleasant as Amos was quite busy because there's something in the scan solution to make it go through your body quickly.  Also, I didn't feel like eating too much but Linda made me several eggs for dinner, eggs being one of the easiest foods for me to eat and one that I like a lot.
  Today I re-started taking the drug that may have made my appetite insatiable.  So be careful and don't leave any food hanging around in my presence.  So far I've been feeling better today and hope to get back into massive milk shake mode.
   Last night I heard Ravel's "Bolero" on the radio, which reminded me of hell weekend at my fraternity at Penn.  Bolero, which I really like and was in the movie "Ten", is a single haunting movement that gets a little louder with each repeat.  At the fraternity, each recruit had a single 12 x 12" floor tile that we scrubbed over and over to the sound of "Bolero."  Sometimes when it reached the end, we were given a break and sometimes no break so that you would start anticipating and hoping for a break as the music got louder and closer to the end.  Unlike everyone else, I actually thought it was an interesting experience and that I was like a slave hoping for a break from the master.  We were served our meal on the tile we cleaned, which consisted of colored pasta, such as, blue or green spaghetti and also given milk in simliar colors.  I was so hungry that I didn't hesitate to eat and drink what normally would have been a turn off.
   Hope you all had a good MLK day.
Elkan - early Tuesday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment