Wednesday, January 25, 2012

11 1/2 mile bike ride

     Yesterday, we had a great restaurant week lunch at Le Bec Fin.  If I'm feeling okay next week, we may try to do it again, even though it's the same menu.  We have lunch at Lacroix scheduled for this Friday.  Lately, it seems Amos is much more off duty at lunch time than dinner time.
     I've been feeling good but yesterday I struggled to bike 4 miles on a cloudy, windy but not too cold day.  Today was sunny, a little less windy and a little colder but I managed an 11 1/2 mile ride.  I was determined to beat the 10 1/2 miles that I did recently.  I went further along the river, past the boat houses and just past the Frederic Remington sculpture of a cowboy on a horse, his only large bronze sculpture (12 feet high.)  I've been concerned about being too far from home if I had to change Amos, but realized, at least in warmer weather, I could probably change outside away from the trail if I had to.  This will allow me to do the usual 10 mile loop around the river or risk going into Manayunk, as I'm curious to see what if any improvements have been made to the bike trail.
     I didn't make the talk I had a ticket for last night since not only did Terry Gross interview the guy Monday but our local great interviewer Marty Moss Coane interviewed him yesterday morning.  It's not unusual for Marty to interview people the same day they appear in Philly for a talk but I don't ever remember Terry Gross also doing it at the same time.
     So I watched the State of the Union speech.  As a liberal, I thought it was a good speech but don't think it has any impact on the election.  I was reviewing credit card receipts at the same time, so I didn't have to pay attention to the clapping and standing.
     Today, I did 5 errands, the furthest about 7 blocks away, in 32 minutes:  bought cookies, ordered rotisserie chciken for dinner, picked up lunch ordered over the phone, picked up the chicken, bought lactaid milk at a small market, and got Linda a 12 pack of soda at the gas station.  I think somewhere I have a list of where I did 10 errands in about 26 minutes many years ago.  These are the crazy things I sometimes do.  I once counted how many steps were in each block on my way to work about 15 blocks away; this actually took many days as I didn't always remember or got distracted.
     I heard a little of Rush Limbaugh today, coming in at the end of a rant where he seemed to say that liberals didn't use their own money for social causes; and he actually made reference to Buffett, Clinton, and possibly Bill Gates.  I assume I misheard what his point was as Buffett and Gates are our greatest philanthropists and Clinton is no slouch; but I have often heard Limbaugh make pronouncements contrary to reality.
     This reminds me of something that Steve Colbert exposed a week or so ago.  A new book "The Obamas" just came out, and Fox and Limbaugh learned that the White House had had a Halloween party last fall at which Hollywood people were in attendance and/or performed.  Both Fox and Limbaugh, as they frequently do about minor irrelevant events, went on rants about secret parties for Hollywood types and what else of more significance was the White House keeping secret.  Colbert revealed that the party was for the children of our troops overseas and that the White House press corps attended and videos of the party has been displayed on the White House web site.  I would sincerely like to know from those of you who listen to Fox and Limbaugh whether Limbaugh or Fox corrected their false and incendiary statements, much less apologized.
     Sorry for the above but I don't really think it's political but an abuse of the public airways.
     I e-mailed my GP about the results of the Scan and he wrote back, "...amazing...You are making the medical establishment look good."  But currently, I worry about side effects from the 4th Mighty Mouse next Monday and the protocol to follow, as I've hardly been reaction free although mostly pretty lucky.
     Have a good day.

Elkan - Wednesday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment