Tuesday, June 14, 2011

2 good meetings

   Yesterday we finally got to see a colostomy nurse, one of my visiting nurses, and she provided some good information about how to live with this bag thing and also ordered some supplies for us.  On Thursday we have an appointment at HUP with their famous and only colostomy nurse Ahvay (phonetic spelling). 
   Because yesterday's nurse was concerned about a little green in the dressings, she called the HUP doctor whose office called back and set up an appointment for today.  We waited about an hour and half  because of some emergencies and finally saw some doctors who said the wound was healing fine and the green was irrelevant.  Because of the delay, we actually got to talk with Dr. Holena, my surgeon.  He answered our questions and will be in contact with my Hopkins oncologist Dr. Diaz.  Chemo can probably start in about 4 weeks.  He also encouraged us to go to MV soon while we have the chance and didn't see any problem with it.  He cancelled our appointment with him for next week and we'll see him again in 3 or 4 weeks.  No biking for 6 weeks, mainly because of the danger of a fall.
One of the other doctors removed my staples with what looked like a staple remover.  Holena also spoke about reversing the colostomy during a long break in the chemo but that I am at a higher risk than the average person because of the chemo.  Apparently some people decide to keep the bag and avoid surgery but I find that inconceivable at this point unless the risks are high.
   Linda reminded me how I've clarifed my status at HUP.  After the last operation some doctors came around and said they were attending doctors so I told them I was the attending patient.  Also, when one of the nurses introduced herself as, "I'm Meaghan, I'm one of the nurses here", I replied "I'm Elkan, I'm one of the patients here." 

No comments:

Post a Comment