I've been feeling a little better the last two days. I got out a lot yesterday. I did a timed walk around Rittenhouse Square and thought I was quite slow but it turned out to be just over 7 minutes, about a minute worse than a good walk in the past. (I was expecting 8 or 9 minutes.) Last night was a tough Amos night and we didn't get much sleep.
Today we went to a HUP conference on pan can at the Hilton Hotel on City Line. Rachel picked us up at 7:30 a.m. and took us there and stayed for most of the program which went to about 3:00. (The room next door held a similar HUP conference on other cancers.) So Rachel had no sleep, Linda had an hour or two (probably allergy driven), and I had 3 to 4 hours. The program and HUP were very impressive with many presentations, including surgery, chemo, radiation, patient care, research, genetics and many other issues. Penn expects to open this year the first center on the BRCA gene whose mutation is why I have pan can. They also have the only Proton radiation machine in the area (weight 200 tons) and the largest in the country, which is able to focus radiation on a very specific area unlike general radiation which is more likely to cause collateral damage. Penn seems to have gotten a lot of money for its pan can program. It's possible some day we will be back at Penn. I didn't get any exercise but felt fine throughout the conference.
Nothing more to report. Have a good weekend.
Elkan - Friday evening
Wow this is a cool blog. Definitely the way to keep everyone uptodate. Related to that, I wanted to let you and Linda know that Jon and I are visiting Philadelphia in June with our almost 9 year old grandson. When our grandkids each turn nine we take them on a Grandma, Grandpa, Grandchild adventure...just the 3 of us. We had our first experience 3 years ago with our oldest one, Sophia. I was still recovering from my treatments, but we made it to Williamsburg and it was a magical 5 days! Hopefully we will be able to connect with you and your family sometime between June 16-19. Betsy Blume
ReplyDelete