Saturday, March 24, 2012

Horrible Night

     Yesterday was not a good day.  My only walk was 3 blocks round trip to the pharmacy.  I took 2 naps during the day due to little sleep the previous two days.  During the evening, I was having lower back pain and around midnight started getting these very painful jolts, sort of like electricity, with every pulse beat in my back, stomach, and/or chest area.  I had had something similar to this in January for 2 nights but not as painful as last night.  I didn't want to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night with the gun shot victims, and I assumed the hospital personnel wouldn't really have an answer.  Wanting Linda to get some sleep, I didn't wake her.  When she got up at 4 a.m., I told her how I was doing and she wisely called Jefferson.  When the on-call oncologist called back, she agreed with Linda's suggestion to try Oxycodone, which surprisingly to me ended the jolts in 20 minutes.  If it hadn't worked, I would have had to go to the emergency room.  I'm now on an Oxycodone regimen throughout the weekend as needed, but fortunately I haven't needed too much so far.          
     We also e-mailed and spoke with our oncologist Littman and with my GP Wynne, both of whom concurred that I should be okay until Monday.
     I was really a jerk for not waking Linda right away.   She always implores me to wake her in such situations and is always helpful, and I would most likely have avoided serveral hours of constant, intense pain.  When Rachel was around 3 or 4, the three of us were walking somewhere, I believe, in the rain with Linda and Rachel wearing boots or rubbers but me nothing.  Rachel said to me, "You are a thing of jerk," an expression Linda and I like to use.
     On a different level, Linda wanted me to mention that a woman, whose husband has pan can, writes her own blog about her interior feelings.  Linda thought it was very amusing that I said if that was the intent of my blog, I would write, "It's happening and I'm unhappy" and that would be it.
     Have a good weekend.

Elkan - Saturday evening

No comments:

Post a Comment