Wednesday, December 7, 2011

   I got my shot for some sort of diabetes test yesterday and was annoyed that I had to wait an hour for a 30 second shot.  Whenever I tried to get an explanation of the delay, someone with an accent I couldn't understand would say something that made no sense to me.  It's really my problem with understanding people with accents as I am very oral language deficient; this is a joke in my family.  Once we were on a train in Italy and an Indian co-passenger was apparently speaking to me in English but because of his accent, I thought he was speaking Italian.  Linda and Rachel got a big kick out of my asking him if he was talking about Forenze, instead of Florence.
   While going up to Penn yesterday, one of those walk/don't walk signs that count down the seconds left before changing was counting down from 85.  After I crossed the street, I looked back and it seemed it did not continue such a silly long count and just changed the light.  I was a little sorry I didn't stay and check it out more.  The light near Linda's office has had the shortest count, starting with 3, which also makes no sense since you can't cross the street in 3 seconds without running.  Maybe I should become the cross walk count down engineer.
   Cleaning up my office, I just came across a print call "The Calmady Children."  Many years ago, Linda and I were at either the National Gallery or the Met when we both saw this picture at the same time and recalled how much we both hated it growing up.  It's a picture of 2 cherubic type girls and for some reason must have been popular in our parents' generation.  I bought the print but was then disappointed that neither of my brothers recalled a familiarity or revulsion from the picture which I must have seen everyday for years as it hung behind the TV in our den.
   Tomorrow is another routine lab test, as the Docs didn't want to wait 3 weeks to see how I'm doing with the new chemo.
   I was a little out of it yesterday but feeling better today.  Hopefully, I can get out between the rains.
Elkan - Wed. noon

No comments:

Post a Comment