Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bikes and trains

   Not much news.  Still feeling good with some erratic intestinal issues. 
   Today is the first day of winter and I was able to get a little easy biking in, about 4 miles in the morning and 6 in the afternoon, with mid 50's temperatures and not much wind.  Probably my last bike ride of the year.  I should be riding our stationary bike at home but I have to get over the concept that it's like work.  For some reason biking along the river seems like fun and not work.  As much as I've always loved our bike trail along the river, 2 1/2 blocks from our house, I'm getting even more appreciation from it now.  I can ride for one flat mile along the river before I get to a hill and can turn around before the hill and repeat this a couple of times, enjoying the river views and not over straining myself..  The trail always has walkers, joggers and bikers all day long.  Occasionally, a train will stop and block the exit and I have to go a couple blocks and up a long ramp to get out.  The set up is 25th Street, the train tracks for freight trains only, the bike trail and the river.  They are in the process of building a ramp over the tracks where we enter and exit the trail.
   Sometimes late at night I hear the train whistles and it reminds me of growing up and hearing train whistles at night.  I wasn't aware of where the trains were (at least half a mile away and not where I would see them), so I used to think the trains rode across the sky.
   Happy Festivus!

Elkan - Thursday night

No comments:

Post a Comment