This morning we walked down to Jefferson so I could give a blood test. My white blood cell count was back to normal so I'm scheduled to have a port (a permanent IV access device) implanted in my chest on Friday (with anesthetic) so that I won't need IV's anymore and maybe not even needles for blood tests. And on Thursday I have a PET scan which takes 2 or 3 hours. Anyway, at Jeff I stepped on a couple of scales and was pleased to report that I had gained about 6 pounds since the last weigh in only a week ago; then Linda noticed that I had been wearing my back pack. At least I did gain about 1 1/2 pounds. The first time Linda was with me at the doctor's and I was asked to step on the scale to be weighed, she was surprised that I just stepped on the scale. She said, and the nurse agreed, that a woman would always take off her shoes and any clothes and perhaps even jewelry that she could.
After the lab test, I stopped in at my old, nearby office for the first time in a long while. It was nice to see and talk with my old friends and colleagues. The office has always been quite secretive about letting people know about employees. I would always ask my secretary when I got back from vacation if anyone had left or there were any new hires. I remember one time I was out of the office on a Thursday and Friday and this guy I was friendly with didn't reveal that he was leaving until that Thursday. So when I came in on Monday, I was shocked to learn he didn't work there anymore. Nevertheless, I was still a little surprised by the number of people who were unaware of my blog and wouldn't be surprised if a few in the office didn't even know I was sick even though I had sent an early e-mail to a few about my condition and had told my secretary about the blog and some attorneys had heard about it from elsewhere, not that anyone needs to waste their time reading this. I think the only way most would have heard about my blog would be if Wiki-leaks had disclosed it.
I receive a daily e-mail from a non-religious organization that highlights events or birthdays regarding prominent non-religious people. Yesterday, they mentioned James "the Amazing" Randi, probably the number one skeptic of the paranormal and the person who will be performing my daughter's wedding ceremony next month. Randi has had a $1,000,000 offer outstanding for years for anyone who can scientifically prove paranormal abilities; as yet no one has won. And today, they had a quote from Abbie Hoffman, whose name influenced my decision to name my daughter Rachel Abigail. The quote was: "Sacred cows make the best hamburger." For you youngsters, Hoffman was the very funny leader of the Yippies in the late 60's and early 70's, was a great anti-Vietnam protester, and was a defendant in the wild Chicago 8 trial for protesting the 1968 Democratic convention.
Enjoy this week; the weather should be a little better.
Elkan - Monday afternoon
No comments:
Post a Comment