Thursday, August 18, 2011

Long but Decent Day at Jeff

   We were at Jefferson from 10 to 6 today.  We got there at 10 and the first thing was lab tests.  Actually, we had changed our original appointment from 8 to 10 a week ago but they still had us down for 8 but it wasn't a problem.  The lab test required a needle in Port Elkan.  Then we had a long, good meeting with our NP Eleanor who answered questions and provided us with info.  My tests came back pretty good. 
   Then we went to the chemo area where each person has there own cubicle with a reclining chair.  No new needle was needed to set up the IV.  First I got some preliminary drugs for about a half hour, then the first drug for two hours, then the second drug for 1 1/2 hours concurrently with a non-chemo drug for 2 hours to help with drug 3.  Durg 3 which is called 5 FU (hopefully it won't live up to its name) was given in a small few minute dose called a bolus.  5 FU is what I get in my pump at home and a nurse came to set it up.  I wear the pump for 46 hours on my stomach or side in a fanny pack and then a nurse comes out to remove it on Saturday at the right time (I hope.)  During the second drug, a nutritionist, who was very good, spoke to us and gave us a lot of advice.  (Hopkins was supposed to set up an appt. with a nutritionist but never did.)  Everyone at Jeff was very nice and very patient oriented.
   Linda wanted me to mention that when she asked me last night where she should move her new computer printer, I told her I would wear it around my waist as it would go with my pouch, port, and pump pack.
   I received a NY Times News Alert on my computer today that read, "Obama to call for Ass..."  I didn't go to the site to find out more about the "Ass."
   I had mentioned that James Randi would be on ABC last night.  He only had two 15 second appearances but another skeptic ran Randi's million dollar challenge to prove paranormal abilities scientifically and all three challengers failed miserably.  I was surprised at how balanced the show was, most of which involved psychics supposedly solving murders or disappearances, providing info from dead people, and finding bad energy in a house for sale and then getting rid of the bad energy.  Ranid was told that psychics say he doesn't have an open mind.  He responded, "I do have an open mind but not so open that my brains fall out."
   I was a little tired when I got home but not necessarily from the chemo as I had been up a lot during the night and spent the day sitting or lying in a chair.  I did go for a little walk when I got home as we had taken cabs both ways to Jeff.
   Now we wait to see if I get any of the many potential adverse reactions from this treatment.
   A lot more rain today after a record 5 inches a few days ago.

Elkan - Thursday evening

No comments:

Post a Comment