Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Earthquake

     As I was about to start doing this post around 1:55, our house started shaking.  Linda suspected an earthquake, while I was concerned with a house problem.  Very, very, strange.  I guess some places go through this much more often with obviously much worse results.  It's amazing how quickly CNN can get into such story and provide a lot of information from many locations.
     As to chemo, I've had mild reactions the past few days of slight fatigue and dizziness.  I may start the step ball test for how I feel, as yesterday when I went out to play, I didn't quite have the energy to jump or lunge and therefore it didn't make sense to continue.
     I've been waiting for a slow blog day to explain "mementos."  This is what we call my plastic bags containing Amos's output.  The term comes from the Mel Brooks's movie I've referred to before "12 Chairs,"in which Dom Deluise gives one of the great comic performances and Ron Moody almost matches him for obsessive madness.  (Frank Langella plays a straight role accompanying Ron Moody on the quest and Mel Brooks has a funny cameo appearance.)  Priest Deluise and former aristocrat Moody are rivals in trying to find Moody's family jewels which Moody's mother sewed into one of their 12 dining room chairs during the Russian revolution.  The mother reveals this on her death bed, first to Deluise and then to Moody.  In one great scene, Deluise thinks he has tracked down the chairs to a Siberian couple and visits them.  When they refuse to sell him the chairs, he goes berserk, attacking them and ranting.  At one point, he is under their dining room table and as they pull him out by his legs, he grabs the table cloth and pulls everything off their table.  As they are pulling him out their front door, he grabs one of the chairs and says in a nice voice, "a memento of my lovely visit to your home."  We have used the term "memento" for years in other situations.
     Hopefully no more shaken goin' on.

Elkan - Tuesday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment