Saturday, February 11, 2012

Glorious Food

     I passed on the pan can meeting this morning, which I wrongly called a colostomy support group in my last post, because the weather wasn't too good and the meeting last month of this group had only one attendee (and we went to the wrong meeting in the building next door but Linda liked it more.)
     I'm still feeling good and still not looking forward to the new chemo protocol on Feb. 20.  I may have jinxed myself (my God is the Jinx) in the last blog by saying Amos had been good lately because that night I just barely avoided a major mess in the middle of the night.
     Yesterday, while walking home from picking up Chinese food, I passed the Convention Center, which is having a Tattoo Show this weekend.  A few doors had handprinted signs saying:
         NO WEAPONS
         NO ALCOHOL
         NO COLORS
     I'd never seen such signs before and assumed the Colors reference had to do with gangs.  There have been many tattoo conventions in the past in Philly and I don't recall any problems but do recall seeing many people walking around Center City with excessive tattooing. 
     Yesterday's walk was a good long walk (I felt I could go on forever except that I was carrying a lot of packages) and also included a brief stop at the Comcast building lobby where they have their giant 10 million pixel video wall, about 2000 square feet.  It's also the largest 4-millimeter LED screen in the world, whatever that means.  I've actually been a little disappointed in the video wall recently, probably because I've seen most of what they show and they've increased the number of breaks between showings. But it is an amazing video production, free, and worth stopping in to see if you're in the area (17th and JFK Blvd.).
     Today I went up to Penn for the last wrestling home meet against Columbia.  When I walked past the tiny food counter to get to my seat, they were displaying the ugliest yellow pizza I'd ever seen.  The match turned out to be very exciting, with Penn just barely winning the last match in the last 30 seconds, worth 3 points, for a 19-18 victory.
     But speaking of food, Linda says I'm obsessed with foods I like, that is, I buy them to an excessive degree.  The best example, which I may have mentioned months ago, happened on Martha's Vineyard over 20 years ago.  After having had some restaurant meals that were healthy rather delicious, Linda asked the chef at the best take out place for the restaurant with the most cholesterol.  Without hesitation, the answer was Le Grenier in Vineyard Haven, a part of the island we rearely got to then but now are very close to.  Grenier is a traditional French restaurant and has become one of our favorite restaurants anywhere.  On our first trip there, I ordered an appetizer called a Feuillete, which is escargot in a puff pastry with an amazing cream sauce.  Upon finishing the appetizer, which I loved, I made a reservation for the next night.  But by the time dinner was over, I knew I was too stuffed to keep the reservation.  Also, I'll never know if I made a reservation for one or for the four of us that were dining together.
     Have a good weekend.

Elkan - Saturday evening

No comments:

Post a Comment