I'm getting better but still not like I was before this latest chemo. I've been out for walks the last three days but walk slower and get tired. Even the stairs are little harder. Yesterday, we got to go to one of Linda's favorite places Parc on Rittenhouse Square for a late lunch. I'm starting to eat more as I've lost a few pounds again but mostly have the nausea under control.
Today we went to HUP (by cab but did walk home okay) to see the colostomy surgeon. Everything seems okay. I was digitally invaded in two places but not too painful. We also talked about a potential reversal which is possible after a long chemo vacation as long as my health is good and I'm not losing weight. It's a procedure that has some real risks.
Last Saturday was International Sword Swallowers Day and Rachel and Dave went to the Ripley Museum in NY to celebrate and Dave participated with others in sword swallowing.
Last night I was thinking how I have to accept my current not great condition as my life for at least the next two months. It made me think of when we hired a literally crazy contractor DiNino (out of three bad Yellow pages choices) to redo our entire third floor before Rachel was born. DiNino promised us we would be out of our bedroom for one or two nights. Instead, we spent 7 weeks sleeping in our living room, Linda, I believe, on a mattress on the couch and me on a pile of box springs and a mattress. Also, we had all our possessions from the 3rd floor around us. For the first week I was angry but then I figured this was how I would live the rest of my life and began to accept it. At one point I called a supplier DiNino was dealing with to find out about delays and the first thing the supplier said to me, referring to DiNino, was, "He's crazy but you already know that." Linda was able to get a picture of DiNino for me and he looks like someone in a mental institution. He had a saying, "Never trust anyone with a suitcase." (He probably meant an attache case.) Fortunately, DiNino finally did finish an adequate job.
Regarding the Academy Awards, I hadn't seen any of the movies. Linda saw at least three but wasn't impressed, including "The Artist". Hopefully, we'll rent a few in the future. We actually watched two old movies recently that we liked a lot. "Fargo" was a lot of fun but does have some very gruesome scenes. 'Kramer v. Kramer" was good although I didn't see the first half; but the documentary special with Dustin Hoffman and others explaining Hoffman's control and philosophy was fascinating. Linda's next movie is "Alice and Wonderland" with WC Fields. I recommend Fields' "It's a Gift". This is by far his best film with some great scenes where he's being abused by his family and others. W.C may not be for everybody.
Have a good day.
Elkan - Tuesday evening
No comments:
Post a Comment