It can be a hassle getting into the blog to write entries.
I've been feeling pretty good the last few days although I still get tired after a while. A friend from Baltimore came up on Wednesday and brought deli with him. On Saturday, my brother and sister-in-law came up and brought deli, my favorite hot dogs and cookies and on Sunday, my friend Sonny came up from Baltimore and brought more of my favorite hot dogs.
On Thursday, I had lunch at home (Baltimore corned beef sandwich), and then while out doing errands, got waffle fries from Chick Filet and then a Big Mac. So overall, I've been eating pretty well, but Amos has been a bit of a problem, producing more output than my input.
Friday, I decided to try a little biking again and was able to do 7 miles, including the hill at the end of the first mile on the trial, right before which I generally turn around. On Saturday, with my brother Lee, I rode about 8 miles at about 8 to 9 miles an hour or half the speed Lee would normally ride at. Pre-sickness, I usually rode at about 11 to 12 mph. That night I went to a magic show about 6 blocks away with Rachel and Dave; but halfway through, Amos required some attention, which did not turn out well, and because I was worried, I left after the second of three performers and as the intermission was beginning. What I saw was fun, and because the start was delayed, I got to see a lot of close up card tricks which one of the performers did while we were waiting for the doors to the theater to open.
On Sunday, Sonny I drove into the nearby town of Manayunk to examine if any changes had been made to the bike trail. We, including Danny from Paris if he was in Baltimore, used to ride from my house to Valley Forge, about 23 miles each way, and the trail out of Manayunk was generally unpaved and rough through forests for about 2 1/4 miles before getting to the great paved trail for nearly 15 miles to Valley Forge. We discovered that the rough area out of Manayunk was now a nice wider gravel path with occasionally completely paved sections or nice wooden bridges and better views of the Schulykill River because some of the brush had been removed to make the path wider. We only rode about 4 and 1/2 miles round trip as I was getting tired. Unfortunately, my chances of taking full advantage of the improvements are relatively slim. Sonny mentioned several times how much heavier my bike was than his bike, which was heavier than Lee's.
But the highlight of the day was finding a new ping pong club Trolley Car Table Tennis Club, which really did take finding. I had the address but we couldn't find the address on the road where it was supposed to be. We finally went into this large group of buildings that contained medical and college facilities and signs of many items included in the complex but no mention of Trolley Car. It looked like everything was closed until I saw people going in a door. I asked the guard inside and he directed us to the Club: Take the elevator at the end of the hall down to the 2nd floor. (Although we were at ground level, we were on the 5th floor.) We got to the club and were able to play 3 games which were a lot of fun, and even better, I won 2 of the 3 games, the last being 21-19. While we weren't slamming and weren't close to the ability of the other players (there were 8 tables), we both played surprisingly steadily with lots of moving around and had many long points, unlike the guys at the other tables.
For dinner I had another corned beef sandwich.
Tomorrow morning for my birthday, we're going to a nearby very high quality restaurant in a four star hotel for a buffet brunch with Rachel and Dave. In the afternoon, I will celebrate by seeing my retina doctor for a regular check up. On Tuesday, I will continue the celebration by having lab tests and chemo at Jefferson.
Hope you all had a good weekend.
Elkan - Sunday night
No comments:
Post a Comment