Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Glorious food.

   A quick update.  It's Wed. night and I've been feeling pretty good since the chemo, with some afternoon tiredness.
   Dept. of More Than You Need to Know:  My appetite has continued to be immense but Amos is keeping up with me.  Two days ago, I disposed of waste bags collected over about a 15 hour or less period  that weighed over 4 pounds.  So that makes gaining weight a problem. 
   I believe I briefly mentioned that I am now getting a monthly painful needle in my butt to help control diarrhea which is periodic but not constant.  My biggest problem is not always remembering to take my pancreas substitute pills, that is, the pills that help digest my food the way my pancreas would have.  We just switched to an alternative pill as we weren't sure how well the previous pill was working.  I ususually remember the pill with regular meals but forget sometimes with a snack.
   My cancer marker, the CA-19-9 went down to 96 which is great improvement as I was over 900 when first diagnosed with cancer.  But as I've mentioned before, this is the best marker they have right now but it's in no way definitive and can be influenced by other factors.  But going down sure beats going up or staying high.
   I will probably be taking some diabetes blood tests through my GP at Penn next week just to make sure things don't get out of control as my glucose count has been high.  Also, I feel I've been neglecting Penn lately and they need some of my Medicare dollars.
   Speaking of Penn, I hope to get up to the Palestra on Sunday for a Penn/Lehigh wrestling match.  Lehigh is ranked around 6th in the nation and Penn 16th so it should be some good wrestling.  Usually around a couple of hundred people show up from an opponent school at Penn wrestling and not much more from Penn but Lehigh usually has thousands of fans.
   Today for lunch I picked up a sandwich I've been ordering for over 25 years along with a dozen chocolate chip cookies.  They know me well for this and usually ask me what they charge for the cookies.  The sandwich is a ham and cheddar melted on a croissant (actually for many years it was brie not cheddar but they stopped brie and now cheddar is actually better for me.)  I have other places where I always get the same thing for lunch and the store people know me for it.
   Enjoy the rest of the week.
Elkan - Wed. night

1 comment: