Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pan Can meeting

   We went to a pan can research meeting at Jefferson sponsored by Dr. Yeo.  It was quite good and at lunch, I was eating the salad (after taking my pills) as if I weren't at all sick; this was an unusual feeling.  But speaking of eating the last few days, I seem to have lost some of my taste buds; after starting to eat something the taste dissipates into something bland.
   But back to the meeting.  Yeo did an introduction and MC'ed the event.  In his closing, just as I was thinking he hadn't mentioned religion once (he's often made religious asides), he used the word religious but in a good way saying seeing all the people there was a religious experience.  Dr. Littman and Eleanor attended the conference of probably several hundred people of which at least 46 were pan can patients or survivors, as we're supposed to call ourselves and applaud ourselves.  Littman actually participated in the Q & A part of the meeting.  There were several 5 to 10 minute presentations on research, surgery, genetics, diet, etc.  Rachel volunteered and went in early to help set up for the event and got to meet Littman and Eleanor.  A group picture of the all the survivors was taken and, out of 45 who participated, there were several long survivals: 7, 8(two 8's), 9 and 13 years.  So that's 11% with good longevity from this small group.
   I walked home from Jeff while Linda and Rachel went shopping and picked up and ate a Five Guys 600 calories French fries order after having eaten a modest lunch at Jeff.
   Have a good weekend.
Elkan - Saturday afternoon and feeling groovy

No comments:

Post a Comment