I think the theme of the last couple of days for Elkan is trying to normalize eating and sleeping, both of which are a challenge. It was suggested to me that two hi-calorie foods are peanut butter and cheesecake. There is a cafe near us that is famous for their chocolate peanut butter cheesecake. Elkan said that if I mentioned it again, he would stop eating altogether.
We had some good visits, and a couple of nice walks to the local parks. Time goes by quickly, especially with all the food shopping and cooking -- things I rarely do. Rachel took me to a big suburban supermarket -- it was really astonishing to someone used to corner grocery stores and charcuteries. It took several hours to shop, but it was fun and amazing to see all the varieties of food -- there were about 5 different kinds of Cheez-Its to go through before I could find the garden variety.
Elkan is only on a little Tylenol, and is maintaining his current weight. Any way to add calories to basic meat, chicken, and potatoes would be welcome. We see the oncologist on Monday, and have a good recommendation about treatment from a specialist at Hopkins -- Melissa's friend.
Thanks for all the emails and notes.
No comments:
Post a Comment