From Elkan:
Yes, I made it home late this morning with the help of my Dynamic Duo: Linda and Rachel.
It's really great to at least temporarily be a human pin cushion. While many people have aversions to needles, I exhibited my aversion at age five when I ran out of my pediatrician's office and was caught by my older brother Larry a block away and brought back for my shots.
Anyway, I did get one shot as a going away present as a moment of my lovely visit to Jefferson Hospital (a line from Mel Brooks' "12 Chairs" ).
Except for the nurses the first night out of the ICU and the following day - who seemed to be about 12 years old-- all of the staff at Jefferson were great. In fact, two of the resident surgeons seemed too nice to be surgeons.
Linda, Rachel, and my future son- in-law, Dave, have been wonderful throughout the hospital ordeal.
I saw several docs this morning at 5:50 and 6:30 a.m., all approving my leaving, but suggesting I wait for the oncologist. when we saw Dr. Yeo, after 8 a.m., he basically said "F..k oncology." He had emailed them on Friday to come see me, and was annoyed that they disobeyed. Referring to oncology, he actually did say the since they didn't read their emails over the weekend, "they're not real doctors."
we actually did get to see a Jeff oncology Fellow before we left, and he accepted that we were going back to Penn. we have an appointment with our HUP oncologist next Monday, but no chemo will begin for at least a month - by which time I should be recovered.
I haven't had any difficulty with steps at home. I did sneeze once today, and it was the second most painful of this ordeal. The worst moment, which Rachel got to witness, was when they pulled a draining tube out of my body a couple of days ago. It made me think of the creatures in "Aliens" who pop out of people's stomachs. Overall, I've been very lucky not to have problems with pain. I may have extra pills to sell to Rush Limbaugh.
I hope I haven't provided too much detail of my version of General Hospital.
thanks again for all your support and good wishes.
Love the "not real doctors.". Glad you made it home. Your sense of humor has certainly shown up when needed! Love, see you soon.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are home. We missed your humor at Passover last night, but I understand that there will be matzo balls in your near future.
ReplyDeleteTom and Bonnie