Sunday, October 9, 2011

Nightmare for Dream Teams

   Still feeling crappy.  Yesterday Linda and the oncologist on duty at Jeff emergency room urged me to come in and after a fight, I agreed.  I've had some bad surprises from hospitals and am reluctant to go there if I feel I don't really have to.  Jeff took blood tests which came out fine and I received two liters of fluids to stave off dehydration.  We only spent 6 hours at Jeff so that was like a cameo visit compared to chemo days.  Linda worries a lot about dehydration (she's probably the quickest person in the world to become dehydrated) and I don't; so I give her a hard time on this issue even though I shouldn't because she does such a fantastic job taking care of me (in spite of myself.)
   Yom Kippur reminded me of my favorite Jewish service, the one between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur where you throw sins into the water.  The specific service I liked was one a few years ago at Martha's Vineyard at Lambert's Cove Beach, the beautiful beach near our house.  We were able to wear shorts and sandals to the service.  At one point, the Rabbi had people call out sins, such as greed gluttony, etc. and I called out Republicanism which got a few laughs.  The Rabbi said some people would take exception with that but I just got a few thank yous.
   Non-sports fans, this is your cue to leave the blog.  It was a bad weekend for Philadelphia teams.  First, on Saturday night the Phillies were eliminated from the playoffs 1-0.  In a way it was an appropriate score as most of the season the Phillies relied on well-pitched games by their starting  rotation aces (the best in baseball) but often failed to score as many as 3 runs to earn a victory.
   Today the Eagles, who at the start of the season were expected to be one of the top NFL teams, lost their 4th game in a row.  Worse is that each half had a poorly coached, stupid play at or near the end.  With 3rd down and 8 seconds left on the clock at the end of the first half and the Eagles around the Buffalo 20 or maybe closer, the Eagles ran a pass play and Vick held the ball too long before tossing it away and managed to use up all 8 seconds, precluding the chance to kick a field goal.
   Near the end of the second half with the Eagles down by one touchdown and about 1 1/2 minutes to play Buffalo had a 4th down and inches around the 50 year line.  At first Buffalo was going to punt but then called time out and came back as if they were going to try for the yardage.  The announcers made it clear that all Buffalo was trying to do was coax the Eagles off sides on a long count and if that failed, they'd take the delay of game penalty and punt.  But the Eagles came through and went off sides allowing Buffalo to run out the clock.
   The one good Sports story was that the Yankees were also eliminated from the playoffs.
Hope you all had a good weekend.  We went out for a short walk to our trail along the water and I enjoyed sitting their taking in the scene which looked a lot like Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte."  Linda was bored without a book.

Elkan - Sunday night

No comments:

Post a Comment