The doctors - Littman and Eleanor - wanted me to come in for checkup today so we were in at 11:30 had blood work done, saw the docs and then had to go through 4 hours of IV fluids. Just a 6 1/2 hour day.The Docs want to concentrate on getting the diarrhea and nausea under control. My lab tests were good and missing a chemo won't be a setback.There' a very lame clown there who gives out smiley face stickers. Linda always gives him a sneer but I take one of the stickers. I was thinking too late that I should have put one on my waste bag.
As to dehydration, I've been very lucky not to need a lot of liquid while Linda is the opposite. Once after one day of diarrhea and, I believe, one throwing episode, we had to call 911 to get Linda to the hospital where her pulse was near zero and one nurse even asked if she was going to die. (Good bedside manner) Another time recently, probably May a year ago coming home from Rome, the last 1 1/2 hours were very rocky and many people threw up. Fortunately I didn't because I didn't have a vomit bag and would have had to go on the head of the guy in front of me. Anyway, after we deplaned Linda was the only one for whom we needed to call emergency help because she as so weak and in need of liquids.
I, on the other hand, when I was 20 did a long walk down the Bright Angel Trail (41/2 miles) at the Grand Canyon, along the canyon bottom ( about 6 miles) and then back up the steeper South Kaibab Trail, none of which was planned. I had no canteen but I did manage to get a full canteen from some girls nearing the bottom and some wine from some Frenchmen mid way up. Sonny had gone half way down Bright Angel and fortunately went back up and slept all day and I had said I just planned to go to the bottom and back. I assume this was more a lesson in adolescent stupidty than dehydraton tolerance.
The whole time I was concentrating on the large coke I would have at the top but unlike Bright Angel there were no facilities at South Kaibab. I went to nearby house and was able to get water from a nice young lady to whom I asked," It most get pretty lonely up here." She didn't agree. I was able to hitch a ride back to Bright Angel where Sonny was just waking up and starting to worry about me. The whole walk took 8 to 9 hours.
The summary of the above paragraphs is that Linda pushes strongly for drinking to avoid dehydrtion and I push back that I'm okay, especially if I'm nauseous and don't think I can drink.
With luck I don't see the Docs or have tests until next Monday.
Elkan - Tuesday night
No comments:
Post a Comment